[c-nsp] IP address assignment to pppoe clients - Radius or DHCP

Hitesh Vinzoda vinzoda.hitesh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 03:26:36 EST 2011

Hi all,

I am trying to assign the ip address to pppoe client using Radius. The
scenario is basically we will have pppoe clients (Not Cisco AFAIK) and they
will authenticated against FreeRadius from LNS. I tried to find out some
documentation about it but found none.

Especially i have seen scenarios where ADSL clients retrieves IP address
automatically with DNS server and default gateway to reach to internet as
soon as pppoe is up, I tried it using Radius using <Framed-IPaddress>
attribute and it works like a charm. But the problem is How to assign the
DNS ip addresses and default gateway or default route <Framed-route> using
Radius, though I m carrying wrong perception as there is as such no
attribute in Radius which assigns DNS ip addresses from Radius. these makes
me to think that it is the job of DHCP servers.

Anyone out there who are running ADSL ISP setup are requested to share how
do they basically assign the IP addresses to ADSL PPPOE client, using Radius
or DHCP? and how?

Thanks in Advance

Hitesh Vinzoda