[c-nsp] IP address assignment to pppoe clients - Radius or DHCP

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Mar 8 13:58:50 EST 2011

Hitesh Vinzoda <vinzoda.hitesh at gmail.com> writes:

> But the problem is How to assign the
> DNS ip addresses and default gateway or default route <Framed-route> using
> Radius, though I m carrying wrong perception as there is as such no
> attribute in Radius which assigns DNS ip addresses from Radius. these makes
> me to think that it is the job of DHCP servers.

There are no standard RADIUS attributes for DNS server assignment, but
many vendors have vendor specific solutions.  Cisco's would be

 Cisco-AVPair := "ip:dns-servers=10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2"

Most ppp clients will point their default route to the other end of the
ppp link, i.e. whatever unnumbered interface you are referring to in
your Virtual-Template.  I don't understand why you would want to set via
RADIUS.  AFAIK, IPCP doesn't include any routing information, so you
would have to run some other protocol over the PPP link to communicate
the route to the client. DHCP would fit.

Bjørn