[c-nsp] Nexus equipment in corporate networks

Martin Clifton Martin.Clifton at vu.edu.au
Sat Mar 12 18:06:23 EST 2011

Hi,

We have two datacentres with L2 spanning them - for this we use the Nexus OTV feature (provides L2 over L3).   You can't run SVIs on the same vDC as you use for the OTV edge device - hence a separate vDC is mandatory.

In addition we use two vDCs with VRFs to provide security tiering (in conjunction with ASAs and load balancers).  Yes, we could use VRFs exclusively but having two separate vDCs makes it cleaner.

We also have a separate management vDC - very handy but a luxury, not a necessity.