[c-nsp] daisy-chain hop limit

Marco Regini marco.regini at ascotlc.it
Mon Mar 14 05:46:23 EDT 2011

Hi,

i have to daisy-chain 28 cisco switch, my humble is only about
spanning-tree (rapid-pvst).

I think I will work for the reasons I wrote below but if you have any
experience please help me.

When the chain is closed the max-distance from the root bridge is 14 (
more than 7 but I know it works).

When some link failure occurs and opens the chain the max-distance from
the root bridge raise to 28 but there is no possible loop in a broken
daisy-chain.

If the root-bridge dies eventually... I don't know, but I think I will
not incur in any loops: only take more time to choose a new bridge-root
and putting the port in forwarding state.

Marco Regini