[c-nsp] daisy-chain hop limit

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Mon Mar 14 06:31:05 EDT 2011

On 14/03/2011 09:46, Marco Regini wrote:
> i have to daisy-chain 28 cisco switch, my humble is only about
> spanning-tree (rapid-pvst).
>
> I think I will work for the reasons I wrote below but if you have any
> experience please help me.

It will probably work fine until some time when someone makes a couple of
wrong connections.  Then your network will die horribly, and bringing it
back to life will take hours, if not days.

Here's what happened one hospital which did something like what you're
planning to do:

http://www.cio.com.au/article/65115/all_systems_down/

If you have any means of clustering / aggregating the switches, that will
save you a lot of trouble in terms of maintenance.

Nick