[c-nsp] Understanding 10G line card oversubscription

Tony Varriale tvarriale at comcast.net
Thu Mar 24 20:17:10 EDT 2011

On 3/23/2011 3:57 AM, Phil Mayers wrote:

> Why would I bother listening to details/timelines from them? They've
> been wildly, wildly inaccurate in the past.

True.  Some things (like Sup2T) are worse than others.

> At this point, Cisco could tell me "it's out next week" and I wouldn't
> base purchasing decisions on it ;o)
LOL!  Yeah I wouldn't do that either.

> The N7k is a nice platform in many ways. Far higher performance,
> better software and some interesting features like mcLAG. It would be
> a great fit for us, *if* it had the MPLS feature set. It doesn't == a
> shame (for us)

Some people are more plugged into the beta and release process for the
Nexus line.  I've been fortunately enough to do that for a number of
features across N7K, N5K and the N1010.  When those features were solid
during the beta phase, they were released appropriately and fairly
quickly.  So, that's all I can say right now :)

> What do you expect me to do? Give them a round of applause? They do
> get *paid* to do this after all. And let's face it - "fairly good job"
> is not exactly a ringing endorsement. Congratulations! You're not
> doing badly!
>
> ;o)

LOL!  No.  But, I would say given the past with the 6500, I much prefer
the N7K and think it's been a much more positive process.  Bug free?
Absolutely not.

> At the end of the day, I'm sure the nexus range will sell fine without
> weirdo edge-case UK universities as a customer. But for me, it's a
> shame that, where the 6500 was a swiss army knife, the new platforms
> seem to be less so. It worked well for us, giving us great performance
> at relatively low cost and ease of sparing, testing and deployment.

I'm not sure that edge N7K deployments are weird.  But, if you are
interested I'm always willing to listen/learn about things people are
doing with their equipment (or where new ones may fit).  Feel free to
contact me off list if you want to chat.

tv