[c-nsp] 3845 maxing out at 400 Mbps

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Tue Mar 29 03:32:58 EDT 2011

On 2011-03-29 04:14, Frank Bulk wrote:
> We have two 3845's as border routers, each with three GigE interfaces (one
> facing upstream, the other downstream, the third facing the other 3845).
> The first 3845 has a typical packet-size mix (residential/business Internet)
> is consistently maxing out at 400 Mbps (predominately ingress because of
> asymmetric routing) running at about 43 kpps and 40% CPU.  It's flat-lines
> very evenly, uncannily so.  We checked and double-checked transport and it's
> set much higher, the same as the second 3845.
> The second 3845, which has a mix of both ingress and egress traffic at a
> combined 82 kpps (35 kpps ingress/50 kpps egress) but lower combined 360
> Mbps operates at a higher CPU (presumably because there's also egress
> traffic) with no flatlining.

Are there any CEF drops? Have you checked 'sh ip cef switching stats'?

> The ACLs are BCP 38-oriented with eBGP; no rate-limiting.
 > We're running 124-11.XW2.

Why you're running BU-special software? Some specific feature not
included in normal IOS? Given the relese date of the software,
all the features should be already in the mainline IOS. You
should propably move to 12.4(15)T or 15.0(1)Mx (latest rebuild).

--
"There's no sense in being precise when |               Łukasz Bromirski
  you don't know what you're talking     |      jid:lbromirski at jabber.org
  about."               John von Neumann |    http://lukasz.bromirski.net