[c-nsp] Blocking Peer-to-peer with a 7200

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Wed Mar 30 10:40:51 EDT 2011

On 3/30/2011 8:59 AM, opslists at rhemasound.org wrote:
> I am trying to block peer-to-peer from a hotel using a Cisco 7200.  Has anyone else had success doing this?  If so what config do you use, and what IOS version.
> I just finished getting nowhere with TAC on a case for a different location, our test PC doing Linux ISO downloads never got touched even though the counters were showing blocked traffic.

"no ip routing" :)

Seriously, P2P protocols have had over 10 years (Napster, June 1999[1]) of practice
evading blocking techniques, particularly port and CBAC-based router ones.  Deep packet
inspection devices have difficulty making a dent in the more determined players.

Jeff

[1] http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,998068,00.html