[c-nsp] Blocking Peer-to-peer with a 7200

Olav Langeland olavlangeland at yahoo.no
Thu Mar 31 13:54:49 EDT 2011

On 30.03.2011 14:59, opslists at rhemasound.org wrote:
> I am trying to block peer-to-peer from a hotel using a Cisco 7200.  Has anyone else had success doing this?  If so what config do you use, and what IOS version.
> I just finished getting nowhere with TAC on a case for a different location, our test PC doing Linux ISO downloads never got touched even though the counters were showing blocked traffic.
>
> Thanks.
Have a look at Cisco NBAR
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6616/products_ios_protocol_group_home.html).

"Mission critical applications including ERP and workforce optimization
applications can be intelligently identified and classified using
Network Based Application Recognition ( NBAR ). Once these mission
critical applications are classified they can be guaranteed a minimum
amount of bandwidth, policy routed, and marked for preferential
treatment. Non-critical applications including Internet gaming
applications and MP3 file sharing applications can also be classified
using NBAR and marked for best effort service, policed, or blocked as
required."

Some examples:
http://slaptijack.com/networking/controlling-peer-to-peer-p2p-traffic-with-cisco-nbar/
http://www.networkstraining.com/blocking-peer-to-peer-using-cisco-ios-nbar/