[c-nsp] Layer 2 Local Switching - 7606 ES-20

Dmitry Valdov dv at dv.ru
Thu Mar 31 03:18:14 EDT 2011

Hello,

We did local switching on ES20 cards, but not in port-to-port mode.
We have working configuration when one VLAN from 1st port connected using
local switching to a VLAN on 2nd port. I think you can do it for as
many VLANs as you want. But we didn't try more then one.

Native VLANs on both ports are L3 terminated on the device.

==
interface TenGigabitEthernet2/0/0
  description x
  mtu 9216
  no ip address
  mls qos trust dscp
  service instance 2 ethernet # <- We do local switchong of VLAN 32  from this port  to VLAN 32 of port TE2/0/1
   encapsulation dot1q 32
  !

interface TenGigabitEthernet2/0/0.1 # <----- native VLAN is L3 terminated
  description UU
  encapsulation dot1Q 2 native
  ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252
  ip flow ingress
  ip pim sparse-mode
  mpls ip

interface TenGigabitEthernet2/0/1
  description DD
  mtu 9216
  no ip address
  ip flow ingress
  mls qos trust dscp
  service instance 2 ethernet   <- We do local switching of VLAN 32 from this port to VLAN 32 on  TE 2/0/0
   encapsulation dot1q 32
  !

interface TenGigabitEthernet2/0/1.1  <- native VLAN is L3 terminated
  description Y
  encapsulation dot1Q 3 native
  ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252
  ip flow ingress
  ip pim sparse-mode
  mpls ip
end

connect connection-name TenGigabitEthernet2/0/0 2 TenGigabitEthernet2/0/1 2

==
Everything is working as expected.

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Andrew K. wrote:

> I am attempting to aggregate multiple layer 2 switches into a 7606
> (12.2(33)SRE3) but I do not want the 7606 being part of the layer 2 network.
>
> To achieve this I am trying to use layer 2 local switching between two router
> ports on a ES20 (7600-ES20-GE3C) card.
>
> The configuration seems simple enough but I can not get this working.
>
> 7606# sh run
> interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2
> description MM FIBER TRUNK TO CAT4500 (Gi1/1)
> no ip address
> no mls qos trust
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet1/0/3
> description SM FIBER TO LNS (Gi0/0/2)
> no ip address
> no mls qos trust
>
> connect WORKTHISTIME GigabitEthernet1/0/3 GigabitEthernet1/0/2
>
> 7606#sh connection all
>
> ID   Name            Segment 1              Segment 2                  State
> 9 WORKTHISTIME    Gi1/0/3                Gi1/0/2                    UP
>
> In theory I should be able to plug a host into both those ports, address them
> on the same subnet and pass traffic correct?
>
> This cisco document confirms this should work :
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/fslocal.html#wp1172344
>
> This does not seem to be working, am I missing something?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Andrew.

Dmitry Valdov