[c-nsp] Can I encrypt syslog traffic in IOS

Hammer bhmccie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 09:18:14 EDT 2011

Nope. You're thinking correctly. But that's not the issue.

AUDIT

We don't syslog thru our management VLAN. That is not a scalable solution
for our WAN. However, this is more of a "due diligence" than anything. Like
authenticating NTP or using SSH instead of TELNET. This is a matter of "Are
you doing the best you can to ensure your traffic is not exposed?" Even
though some of it doesn't necessarily make sense.

I've noticed over the last about two years that both Internal and External
audit seem to be getting a lot more savvy with what they look at and what
they ask. Could just be a sign of the times. Who knows. But these are the
questions I'm being asked and then I'm being interrogated on my config. So
I'm just being proactive in looking for solutions to harden our standards.

 -Hammer-

"I was a normal American nerd."
-Jack Herer