[c-nsp] VSS NAT ?

Adrian Turcu adriant at domeit.net
Thu May 12 09:01:26 EDT 2011

Are you referring to Cat6500 VSS 1440 system?
If yes, I am using them in a few production and non-production environments and do NAT on them too.
Here's my setup, trimmed to outline the NAT:

!
interface Loopback1001
 description Static NAT to  jumpoff01 server - 10.160.161.142
 ip address aaa.aaa.aaa.31 255.255.255.255
!
interface Loopback1002
 description NAT OVERLOAD
 ip address aaa.aaa.aaa.29 255.255.255.255
!
interface Vlan31
 description Global -> topVRF
 mac-address 0000.0000.0031
 ip address aaa.aaa.aaa.227 255.255.255.254
 ip nat outside
!
interface Vlan161
 description Private LAN Segment - gateway
 mac-address 0000.0000.0161
 ip address 10.160.161.1 255.255.255.0
 ip nat inside
!
ip access-list extended PrivLANNet
 remark Private LAN for NAT Overload
 permit ip 10.160.161.0 0.0.0.255 any
!
route-map NAT-OVRLD-RM permit 10
 match ip address PrivLANNet
!
ip nat inside source static 10.160.161.141 interface Loopback1001
!
ip nat inside source route-map NAT-OVRLD-RM interface Loopback1002 overload
!

The above works for me on the following images (worked on SXH too):
- s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI2a.bin
- s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI4a.bin

Question: why do you need HSRP once you have VSS? Unless you have more than one VSS (pair of 6500s). Or I understood you wrong, i.e instead of VSS, you went back to standalone and HSRP. Because, NAT also works  in that config (HSRP) for me on the 6500-Sup32.

Regards,
Adrian