[c-nsp] 6500 VSS question

Church, Charles Charles.Church at harris.com
Tue May 17 19:31:38 EDT 2011

Phil,

	The VSS is the 'bonding' of 2 6500 chassis into one, with one CLI
controlling both chassis.  Kind of like a 3750 stack.  Up until I think
SXI3, you were limited to one sup in each chassis.  One sup would be elected
the active, and the other would be the hot standby, like normal SSO, but
split between chassis.  With SXI3 or 4, you can add a second sup into each
chassis.  These sups backup the other sup in that chassis.  The additional
sups take the role of RPR warm.  Each chassis can have at most 1 sup as
either active or hot-standby, and the other sup if up will be RPR warm.  If
your active sup is lost, the hot-standby (in other chassis) transitions to
active, and the backup sup in the chassis which just lost the active sup
will transition from RPR-warm to hot-standby.  The VSS link exists between
the two chassis to act almost like a backplane, carrying some traffic, but
also state info, and other things you might find on the backplane.

Chuck Church