[c-nsp] 6500 VSS question

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed May 18 03:58:22 EDT 2011

On 05/18/2011 12:31 AM, Church, Charles wrote:
> Phil,
>
> 	The VSS is the 'bonding' of 2 6500 chassis into one, with one CLI
> controlling both chassis.  Kind of like a 3750 stack.  Up until I think

;o)

I do know what VSS is and how it works; I meant I wasn't familiar with
the specific operational details, because we don't use it. Good
explanation though!

> your active sup is lost, the hot-standby (in other chassis) transitions to
> active, and the backup sup in the chassis which just lost the active sup
> will transition from RPR-warm to hot-standby.  The VSS link exists between

Thing is: if you lose your active sup, then your active switch fabric
has gone, and you'll have an outage on that box until the RPR-warm sup
can come up. Unless RPR+ is magically faster under VSS that it is in a
plain chassis, that will always take 30 seconds won't it?

What I mean is: RPR+ is slow. 30 second outage in the config you
describe is what I'd expect, regardless of which linecard the VSL is on
- because the switch fabric has gone away and takes 30 seconds to come back.