[c-nsp] Open Source netflow recommendations

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed May 18 10:38:39 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 03:20:14PM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> Juniper are still pushing the "here's the hardware, but if you actually
> want to use it, we're going to gouge you for more" model for netflow.
> Thankfully, Cisco aren't doing this on any of their platforms.

Have they abandoned that?  $Earlier versions of IOS on 7200s required a
(pricey!) netflow license.

... and I wouldn't be surprised to see extra licenses for netflow on
the ES line cards and for $anythingonCRS1...

From what we hear from colleagues that got CRS1, Cisco is fully back in
"need extra licenses for anything!" land now - *plus* "the hardware
enforces licenses" *and* "their license management is seriously fubared"
(this is how the story goes: power outage, CRS-1 came back without any
valid licenses, took TAC a week to restore licenses).  Well, colleagues
have learned, and will never ever buy anything again that requires
licenses to be stored on the device...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de