[c-nsp] Open Source netflow recommendations

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed May 18 11:00:40 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011, at 16:38:39 +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 03:20:14PM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> > Juniper are still pushing the "here's the hardware, but if you
> actually
> > want to use it, we're going to gouge you for more" model for netflow.
> > Thankfully, Cisco aren't doing this on any of their platforms.
>
> Have they abandoned that?  $Earlier versions of IOS on 7200s required a
> (pricey!) netflow license.

Most IOS versions I've encountered in recent memory do not require a
Netflow license.

> ... and I wouldn't be surprised to see extra licenses for netflow on
> the ES line cards and for $anythingonCRS1...
>
> From what we hear from colleagues that got CRS1, Cisco is fully back in
> "need extra licenses for anything!" land now - *plus* "the hardware
> enforces licenses" *and* "their license management is seriously fubared"
> (this is how the story goes: power outage, CRS-1 came back without any
> valid licenses, took TAC a week to restore licenses).  Well, colleagues
> have learned, and will never ever buy anything again that requires
> licenses to be stored on the device...

I don't know about the CRS1, but I know on the Nexus 7000s, there is a
separate Layer 3 license that needs to be purchased, unless you just want
it to be a big layer 2 switch.  There might be other licenses needed as
well.  I don't know if Netflow v9 is a separate license.  Netflow v5
appears to be part of the of the Layer 3 license in NX-OS.

jms