[c-nsp] Open Source netflow recommendations

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu May 19 22:09:54 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:38:39 PM Gert Doering wrote:

> From what we hear from colleagues that got CRS1, Cisco is
> fully back in "need extra licenses for anything!" land
> now - *plus* "the hardware enforces licenses" *and*
> "their license management is seriously fubared" (this is
> how the story goes: power outage, CRS-1 came back
> without any valid licenses, took TAC a week to restore
> licenses).  Well, colleagues have learned, and will
> never ever buy anything again that requires licenses to
> be stored on the device...

The CRS requires a tons of licenses if you want to run edge
features. The ASR9000 too, in some areas.

In one of our networks, we use CRS and ASR9000 for core. So
we don't need those edge licenses. In another part of our
network, we use the ASR9000 as an edge, but mostly for IP
Transit services - no funky l2vpn/l3vpn stuff. So we're
still okay.

Our other network where we have a lot of MPLS edge features,
we use the MX480. It has its fair share of issues, but for
the features we're running today, we don't need licensing.

Mark.