[c-nsp] Open Source netflow recommendations

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu May 19 22:10:00 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:20:14 PM Nick Hilliard wrote:

> If you're using MPC cards on Juniper MX platform, yes you
> need an MS-DPC for ipv6 netflow.  However, this is done
> natively on the newer trio cards.

You mean the "DPC", right :-)?

Yes, the Trios make some of that functionality native, but
not in the MX80. For the MX80, some features require a MIC.

> Juniper are still pushing the "here's the hardware, but
> if you actually want to use it, we're going to gouge you
> for more" model for netflow. Thankfully, Cisco aren't
> doing this on any of their platforms.

I don't like this about Juniper, never have. But Cisco are
also "license-heavy", especially on their newer platforms
and code. I don't like that either.

It's hard enough buying a box. It's hard enough getting the
box to do what you want it to do without falling over or
lacking features.

Mark.