[c-nsp] Catalyst 6524 rate limit per port/vlan

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue May 24 21:48:50 EDT 2011

On Saturday, May 21, 2011 05:32:24 AM Pavel Dimow wrote:

> I'am thinking of using CAT6524 as access switches for our
> pure l2vpn customers. I have started reading about rate
> limiting capabilities of those switches but it I can't
> find a way to do a per port or per vlan rate limit. With
> MQC I can limit the speed in inbound but not in outbound
> direction. Is there any better way to do it? I don't
> understand what is the problem with
> outbound rate limit for Cisco (and Juniper) switches? Is
> it architecture or something else and how come that
> there is no problem for rate limit on routers (even the
> smallest one).

I would look at Cisco's ME3600X/3800X for this deployment. I
wouldn't waste my time on an ME6524, given the capabilities
and price of the ME3600X/3800X.

Note that egress policing in this platform is not yet
available in the software (but the hardware is built to
support it). This should be out towards the end of 2011.

Cheers,

Mark.