[c-nsp] how many maximum BGP routers can be to reside in one AS?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu May 26 13:14:27 EDT 2011

On Thursday, May 26, 2011 09:59:35 PM Gert Doering wrote:

> Try building a fully-meshed network of 2500 routers and
> be surprised on the amount of computational power you'll
> need...

Indeed.

You don't only get to worry about iBGP and how much the
route reflectors can scale (either as a cluster or as
individual units), but you also need to be very concerned
about the "speed" of the IGP.

The suggestion from Adam is basically scaling large routed
networks using BGP Labeled Unicast. The general idea with
this solution is to break the network up into several
regions, much like you would a multi-area OSPF or multi-
level IS-IS network. However, there's a twist...

With BGP Labeled Unicast for scaling large routed networks,
each region wouldn't exchange routing information via the
normal methods you would in the same AS, i.e., IGP, LDP,
RSVP, e.t.c. Instead, the regions would exchange routing
information via BGP Labeled Unicast.

In all fairness, I think this solution, while valid, is
rather complex. Very complex. However, when you're talking
about a network that large in this modern day, it might not
necessarily be such a bad idea to consider this solution.

Cheers,

Mark.