[c-nsp] BGP peer/customer routes

vince anton mvanton at gmail.com
Tue May 31 06:57:23 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

need some insight from the list as how to best approach a bgp routing/policy
issue, and whats generally done and considered good practise and good
policy.

I operate a transit AS (say AS10), and I have a customer (AS 5) who buys
transit from me.

I also peer with AS11 - no transit either way on this, just peering, ie
sending my networks to AS11, and receiving AS11's networks

Now AS5 also becomes a transit customer of AS11, and so on the peering link
with AS11, I now can see the IP Blocks of my customer AS 5

AS Path length, and Localpref sorts out most routing issues here, except for
the case where AS5 advertises a more specific route to AS11, than to me
(AS10).

So what happens now is that for this more specific customer prefix, I have a
specific route saying some AS5 nets are preferable via the peering link than
via the direct customer link,  and if I want to deliver transit traffic to
my customer, my router would choose the peering link.  This is not desirable
behaviour.

Is the solution here, filtering any customer prefixes from any other links
(ie filtering AS5 nets on link to AS11), or is there any other way of going
about this ?

Thanks,

anton