[c-nsp] downlink bgp interconnect best practices

Dean Belev dbelev at gmail.com
Tue May 31 09:35:43 EDT 2011

Hi,

There are some designs with their pros and cons.

1)
uplink/IX  uplink/IX
     |        |
     CR1 -- CR2
      |      |
      |      |
      |      |
      |      |
     AS1 -- AS2
      |      |
customer1  customer2

	OR
2)
uplink/IX  uplink/IX
     |        |
     CR1     CR2
       \     /
        \   /
         DS1
        /   \
       /     \
     AS1     AS2
      |       |
customer1    customer2

1)
Every customer has his active(C1-AS1-CR1)  and backup BGP session (C1-AS1-AS2-CR2). For C2 - vice versa.
In that case you have to provide enough capacity:
1) between AS1 and AS2 and at the other hand
2) between CR1/2-uplink/IX

2)

Every customer has his active(C1-AS1-DS1-CR1)  and backup BGP session (C1-AS1-DS1-CR2).
In that case you have to provide:
1) Distribution Switch (DS1)
2)enough capacity  between CR1/2-uplink/IX

As I said earlier - there are pros and cons with these 2 designs :)

Best~