[c-nsp] BGP peer/customer routes

Andrew Miehs andrew at 2sheds.de
Tue May 31 12:45:48 EDT 2011

I am not quite sure I understand exactly which problem it is you are trying
to solve.

Let us assume you (AS10) have been assigned 10/8 from RIPE.
You assign your customer (AS5) a 10.0.0.0/22.
As stated, you peer with AS11.

Many providers will not route provider assigned (PA) addresses from another
provider, without speaking to the other provider first. This means, AS5,
AS10 and AS11 will need to communicate with each other that this is ok, and
that you are planning on doing this.

Your customer will announce AS5 you with the network 10.0.0.0/22 with his AS
number.

In your routing table your path length to 10.0.0.0/22 will be via AS5
You will see another route in your routing table from 10.0.0.0/22 via AS11,
AS5.

And you should definitely at least filter what you are accepting from your
customer, if not from all your peering partners.I remember RIPE used to have
some great documentation on filtering based on the whois database.

Did I miss something?

Regards

Andrew