[c-nsp] BGP peer/customer routes

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue May 31 12:11:00 EDT 2011

On Tuesday, May 31, 2011 09:46:45 PM Kevin Loch wrote:

> Instead of trying to figure out how to break your
> customer's routing policy, you might ask them why they
> prefer the other transit provider. Is it because of
> cost? Capacity issues? Do they send you some more
> specific and others to AS11?.  Or perhaps there were too
> many packet loss/routing issues and things just run more
> smoothly through AS11.

We see this often - some of our customers will send us fewer
or more routes than they will our competitors in the same
market.

The reasons vary, but they're as much technical as they're
commercial.

Our saving grace - we can reach any prefixes we don't see
directly via the exchange point toward their other transit
provider. This tends to be very low cost or free, depending.

Mark.