[c-nsp] Link/Line Testing

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Tue May 31 17:13:46 EDT 2011

Hi list,

Is there any way from either a router or L3 switch I can saturate a
line/link? I don't want to use a computer or external device.

Lets pretend that $provider has given me a 1Gbps up-link to a device
which terminates various 100 Mbps links, so having a pc with software
to pump out 1Gbps would be no good. Since most people have up links
many times faster that most other ports on their routers/switches how
can I test the up link throughput from the device.

If for what ever reason I had 1Gbps access ports with a 1Gbps up link
I could use a pc/hardware traffic generator and test the link and for
example routers ability to policy route and filter at 1Gbps but I just
want to test the physical link its self for its top end throughput.

Pointers anyone?

--
James.

http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; Those who understand
Vigesimal, and J others...?