[c-nsp] BGP peer/customer routes

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue May 31 18:31:42 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 20:31 +0200, vince anton wrote:
> it surprises me that some people seem to be ok with passing transit traffic
> over a peering link. I dont understand why you would want to do this, as to
> me this seems abuse or misconfiguration (possibly not intentional), and
> potentially very expensive, or loss of revenue.

I'm seeing this from a customer perspective: Why on earth should you not
respect the more specific routes via the peering link?

What if I have a primary connection from AS11 and buy a backup
connection (much lower bandwidth) from you, but another of your
customers is the new Youtube? If you insist on sending traffic from them
down the backup pipe I bought from you it wouldn't work. I'd have to
find another ISP to buy transit from, and sending it upstream is at
least more expensive than towards a peer, right?

I would personally probably accept terms/policy that stated this would
not be accepted, but that's only because I can somewhat understand the
technical difficulty in resolving the problem so everyone is happy.

(I assume the customer is using PI addresses or have advised you in
advance about the connection to AS11.)

--
Peter