[c-nsp] Third Party Xenpaks

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Nov 7 13:16:47 EST 2011

On 07/11/11 17:56, Scott Voll wrote:
> <legend says> unfortunately....it all came from a very large customer......
>
> They were using 3rd party stuff and things were failing. couldn't figure
> it out.... told cisco to figure it out or they were going to rip
> everything out.
>
> Cisco sent staff and found that the fiber transciever they were using
> was over heating and dying. After that, cisco went to the if it ate
> cisco we are not going to support it. it's at least better..... now they
> let you..... but it raises BIG flags(or causes major issues).

I don't see how that incident justifies:

if (strncmp(xcvr->vendor, "CISCO", 5)==0) {
   do_ddm();
} else {
   /* OH NOES! An EEPROM from a different vendor */
   return -1;
}

Even if it did somehow justify it, it's not even an effective measure;
as I said, it's really REALLY easy to buy "Cisco compatible" optics
which just have CISCO written into the EEPROM.

So it's theatre; they pretend to lock optics, we pretend to care what
they think and the people who suffer are the people who don't know about
the "Cisco compatible" rigmarole, and suddenly find DDM doesn't work
after a reload.

Pointless waste of time...