[c-nsp] OSPF issue

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Nov 16 18:49:08 EST 2011

On 11/16/11 3:28 PM, John Elliot wrote:
> Hi Guys - Just following up on this issue...Carrier is stating that they
> are not filtering multicast(support case is still open, but we appear to
> be getting nowhere)
>
> If I ping 224.0.0.5 from R2, I do not get a response from R1 via the
> "new" link - Also, debugging icmp on r1, I only see requests from R2 via
> the existing(working) link, so the multicast pings are not reaching R1
> via the "new" link.

If you ping 224.0.0.5 from a router connected to R1 on a different link,
do you get a response?  (I suspect your carrier is indeed filtering
multicast.)

> R1(7206 w/ G1) connects via trunk to 3750(As portchan), and the carrier
> hand-off is via trunk port on the same 3750 - The switch is not doing
> any L3, has no filtering of multicast enabled...Am I seeing a potential
> ios bug?

Verify that R1 is indeed communicating on 224.0.0.5 on the interface
facing the carrier, then beat on them until they fix it.  If it isn't
and should be (no passive-interface or something misconfigured), then
maybe an IOS bug.

I suspect the carrier.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net