[c-nsp] negative effects of jumbos on cat6500?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Nov 28 09:52:23 EST 2011

On Friday, November 25, 2011 04:45:03 AM Gert Doering wrote:

> Sure.  As soon as a L3 interface comes into the mesh, you
> need to have synchronized MTU settings among all devices
> involved, otherwise... *bang*

This mostly affects 3x types of switches:

	1. A switch that supports large MTU's on the SVI,
	   which means you can run an IGP on it without
	   bothering other devices, e.g., 6500/SUP720.

	2. A switch that supports only an MTU of 1,500 bytes
	   on the SVI (so-called Routing MTU). We normally
	   deploy such as server/service aggregation
	   switches, which have a point-to-point SVI that
	   talks to the upstream Layer 3 device, which is
	   running a specially-modified MTU separate from
	   it's core-facing interfaces to talk the IGP (if
	   necessary) with the switch, e.g., 3560.

	3. A switch that is really a router, and can run IP
	   straight off the physical interface at large
	   MTU's, e.g., ME3600X/3800X.

Cheers,

Mark.