[c-nsp] 877VA vs 877VA-W

Adam Atkinson ghira at mistral.co.uk
Fri Nov 25 01:21:28 EST 2011

Has anyone here used both an 877VA and an 877VA-W?

I was about to order one or more VAs when I discovered that it had a fan
and the VA-W didn't. This is enough to make me suspect I might
prefer the -W model just for the fanlessness even if I have
little to no desire for the wireless functionality.

But if the VA needs a fan, what stops the VA-W from needing one?
Would it be better off with one but the wireless stuff takes up
too much room? I read that the VA fan speed depends on internal
temperature so maybe in normal operation noise would not be a problem.

On top of this, reading
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78_459542_ps380_Products_Data_Sheet.html
leaves me a little perplexed. There are different part numbers for
upgrading from 512 to 768 and from 256 to 512, and no part number for
upgrading from 512 to 1024 (which ought to be possible on the -W models
since they apparently come with 512 and can take 1 gig). Also there's a
part number for a VA with ip services but no part number for a VA-W with
IP services.

To get a VA-W with ip services presumably I need to order a VA-W
and then SL-880-AIS as a separate line item.

Any advice from people who have used both of these models would be
gratefully received.

--
Adam Atkinson