[c-nsp] C7600 vs. ASR 9000

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Oct 3 22:15:46 EDT 2011

On Monday, October 03, 2011 02:06:16 AM Michał Grzybczyk
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any opinion which one is the better choice for a core
> network ? How much different is OS on ASR 9000 in
> comparizon to IOS ? If I know IOS there is no problem to
> operate it ?
>
> Assuming that I need MPLS, VPLS, H-QOS ...
> and of course the most important is stable, stable ...
> and reliable device !

If you're looking for a core application, then either box
should do just fine.

Of course, the ASR9000 would make more sense as I think it
would be cheaper, is far more modern, and is where Cisco
will be focusing development for the next phase of platforms
in this space.

The ASR9000 runs IOS XR, which is quite different from IOS
fundamentally. Some might argue it's more stable, especially
if you need a core application.

QoS on the ASR9000 is not bad. I think the 7600 would be
just as good if you were running the ES line cards.

I'd say take an ASR9000, in case, some day, you need run a
collapsed core. If you're sure you'll always be running the
box as a core node, and only if it's dirt cheap, you may
consider a 7600.

Mark.