[c-nsp] C7600 vs. ASR 9000

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Oct 4 03:36:25 EDT 2011

On (2011-10-04 00:26 -0400), Jason Lixfeld wrote:

> > The ASR line cards resemble the ES series on the 7600.

> Where?  If one is using an ES port on a 7600, I'd assume one is likely using EVCs on said port.  The ES ports on the 7600s do not support SPAN on a physical interface that is configured with EVCs.  The ASR9k thankfully supports this extremely basic feature.  The 7600 ES port's lack of SPAN on an EVC would lead me to believe that the ASIC controlling the ES is very different than the ASIC controlling the ASR linecards.

ASR9k does not have any PFC engines, like 7600 must have. But indeed ES+ EZchip
is same chip ASR9k uses exclusively (there are no PFCs in ASR9k). Also IIRC the
fabric ASR9k uses is from 'cat' BU, same fabric nexus7k uses (i.e. next-gen
cat6k fabric).

(In this sense 7600 with ES+ is lot more complex than ASR9k, as you need to
have both ES+ and PFC chips)

--
  ++ytti