[c-nsp] bgp bestpath w/o bgp always-compare-med

Nikolay Shopik shopik at inblock.ru
Tue Oct 11 05:18:02 EDT 2011

Hi,

I have rather strange best path selection. We have 3 uplinks, AS_PATH to
one of prefix is same for all 3 prefixes, so my assumption it will use
oldest one, because everything else is same. Except one thing I notice
one of uplinks send us metric, while two others does not.

Here is example, first one is oldest, second is youngest, but it still
choices last one. While should choice first, because everything else is
same.

   39792 9002 25532
       Origin IGP, metric 400, localpref 100, valid, external
       Community: 39792:3000 39792:3004
   41095 9002 25532
       Origin IGP, localpref 100, valid, external
       Community: 41095:2000 41095:2001 41095:2100 41095:2101
   30733 9002 25532
       Origin IGP, localpref 100, valid, external, best
       Community: 9002:0 9002:64667 30733:6022

I start to believe it using metric anyway, while I don't use that
option. What I missing here?