[c-nsp] ASR9k CWDM Optics

Matt Addison matt.addison at lists.evilgeni.us
Fri Oct 14 21:07:19 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 20:52,  <cisconsp at secureobscure.com> wrote:
> Good evening everyone,
>

> We have a requirement to use passive CWDM boxes (limited dark fiber) between
> 3 sites within the same metro area for point to point 10gig connections, and
> are wondering what CWDM optics are compatible with our ASR 9006 routers. The
> cisco pricing tool does not display any colored XFP modules for the line
> cards in the 9k.  We are not currently married to a CWDM mux or optic
> vendor, although cost is an obvious concern, and are willing to explore
> non-Cisco solutions providing the feedback from their users is positive.

Depending on your channel requirements you could theoretically use
DWDM optics over CWDM muxes (channels 59, 34, and 9 on the DWDM ITU
grid). If you need more than 3 channels there are a few vendors which
provide DWDM muxes which can plug into CWDM muxes on 1530,1550,1570 if
you have them available. But the latter is going to hurt signal wise
since you're going through 4 prisms on the DWDM lasers.

~Matt