[c-nsp] ASR9k CWDM Optics

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sat Oct 15 15:24:01 EDT 2011

On 15/10/2011 19:28, Mark Tinka wrote:
> We either go dark, or have our own optical system to do
> this. No way we're paying Cisco for that :-).

It's a "because we can" charge.  The alternative is to go out and buy a wdm
transmission system with FEC, which will come at a hefty premium.  So Cisco
feel they can capitalise on this cost balancing act by evening things out
with their charging scheme.  Call it customer gouging if you wish, but the
bottom line is that Cisco ain't a charity:  if they feel they can get away
with charging for something, then that is what they will do.

Although the lure of IPoDWDM seems attractive at first glance, it's
bullshit like this that generally makes WDM transmission systems a much
better long term strategic choice as wave delivery platforms.

Having said that, not everyone wants or needs FEC.

Nick