[c-nsp] ASR9k CWDM Optics

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Oct 16 05:08:48 EDT 2011

On Sunday, October 16, 2011 03:24:01 AM Nick Hilliard wrote:

> It's a "because we can" charge.  The alternative is to go
> out and buy a wdm transmission system with FEC, which
> will come at a hefty premium.  So Cisco feel they can
> capitalise on this cost balancing act by evening things
> out with their charging scheme.  Call it customer
> gouging if you wish, but the bottom line is that Cisco
> ain't a charity:  if they feel they can get away with
> charging for something, then that is what they will do.

Agree, not the first time we've seen these "license" tactics
from Cisco and other vendors, e.g., when they wanted to
charge for a license to run IPv6 on the ES line cards back
then. Yes, it was just a paper license, but meant you
couldn't get support if something broke.

Of course, the current platforms now enforce features in
software/hardware, so you're forced to get a license if you
really need the feature.

We just choose not to deal with such nonsense if we can. If
we  can't, it always comes down to the wire with the vendor.

> Although the lure of IPoDWDM seems attractive at first
> glance, it's bullshit like this that generally makes WDM
> transmission systems a much better long term strategic
> choice as wave delivery platforms.

Agree - back then, IPoDWDM made sense because it was just
about the only way you could get 40Gbps into a router. With
40Gbps and 100Gbps Ethernet now on the (practical) horizon,
that excuse goes out the window.

For me, the only real benefit I see from IPoDWDM is FEC-
awareness directly in the router, which can help to trigger
pre-failure cut-overs to alternative paths before the line
takes a hit. Aside from that, IPoDWDM doesn't necessarily
lower your operating costs. And given how infrequent
failures may be in the core, and/or the fact that the core
is pretty tightly strung, the pre-failure detection may not
necessarily be a major advantage for us.

Mark.