[c-nsp] ASR9k CWDM Optics

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Oct 16 22:12:58 EDT 2011

On Sunday, October 16, 2011 10:47:42 PM Matt Addison wrote:

> To add to the core discussion, it's probably going to be
> cheaper to pay your Cisco tax than buy transponders from
> your WDM transport vendor once you hit 3+ DWDM channels
> per blade if you have a passive network you can put
> alien wavelengths into.

Alien wavelength port density seems to be the issue with the
DWDM vendors today. Most are reserving those ports for east-
west transport of the optical system itself, although a few
are now "supporting" alien wavelengths.

The issue becomes worse if you don't own the infrastructure,
as I'm yet to find a telco willing to bill you for an alien
wavelength model.

For core link expansion in this case, it pays to have the
best deal possible with the right optical kit.

Cheers,

Mark.