[c-nsp] ASR9k CWDM Optics

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Oct 17 01:20:49 EDT 2011

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011, Mark Tinka wrote:

> The issue becomes worse if you don't own the infrastructure, as I'm yet
> to find a telco willing to bill you for an alien wavelength model.

I can understand this, as from what I've seen, some DWDM systems will do
bad things if you for instance mix up RX and TX (sending light backwards
into the EDFA is not considered a normal operating case).

You also have the case where coherent detection and NRZ don't like to be
adjacent channels. Quality management is also hard... So in these cases
where different administrative entities need to interoperatre,
transponders give a nice handoff that is well specified.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se