[c-nsp] 10/100/1000 copper SFP in ASR9k / autoneg

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Wed Oct 19 08:30:53 EDT 2011

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, Phil Mayers wrote:

> This is just curiosity; it's not even strictly our problem.
>
> We host a POP (physical space, power cooling, a bit of telco liason) for our
> upstream, who have an ASR9k on site that we and a lot of other people connect
> into.
>
> In providing assistance for a couple of other sites connected to that same
> router, it's been mentioned that the tri-rate copper SFPs don't support
> autoneg?

Correct. Their current generation of line-cards does not support
10/100/1000 copper SFP auto-negotiation. It is rather painful sometimes:
dumb non-configurable auto-nego switch on the other side sometimes
configured to 100 Mbps half-duplex after restart. Then complain from the
users because of the packet drops... ..

> Does anyone have the faintest idea what Cisco are playing at here? I'm amazed
> and astonished that a product released this millenium won't support autoneg.
> Madness!
>
> I've got to know - surely there must be a good reason?

According to Cisco - they selected a cheaper chip - without
auto-negotiation.

Janos Mohacsi
Head of HBONE+ project
Network Engineer, Deputy Director of Network Planning and Projects
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882