[c-nsp] Downsides of combining P and PE functions into a single box

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 19:08:15 EDT 2011

We've looked at collapsing layers every once in awhile and do have some
smaller locations with a combined pair of P/PE devices.  The ability to
eliminate interconnects is attractive.  There are many more features we
use on the PE side which can introduce bugs into the core layer so the
ability to have transit traffic not be affected by those bugs is almost
necessary in our case.  Having a separate core also sets us up for some of
the devices coming in the future which may take the place of a full
featured MPLS router with something with a simplified control/forwarding
plane (stripped-down LSR) or a device with combined packet/optical which
can take the place of both our P nodes and DWDM transport nodes.  I'd like
to see more virtualization to be able to use the same chassis/line cards
as two separate routers and the ability to virtually connect them via an
internal fabric.  I know this is doable on the multi-chassis systems from
C/J but those systems are expensive and add additional complexity.

Right now the reason collapsing is a non-starter is we don't have the
density on any current MPLS router to use a combined P/PE in most
locations unless we go to multi-chassis configurations.

Phil