[c-nsp] 2921 Fan noise

Jake Khuon khuon at NEEBU.Net
Sat Oct 22 16:09:28 EDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-10-22 at 14:44 -0400, Erik Soosalu wrote:
> Anyone know if there is a way to quiet down the fans in a 2921?

Well, you probably have two choices.  You can either replace the fans
with quieter ones or enclose the thing in a sound suppressing
enclosure.

Look up the specs on the existing fans and get new ones with the same
size and the same (or very nearly the same) power draw and CFM but with
a quieter noise rating.  I've done this for several older switches and
it was easy to do but I have not done this on any newer gear.  The 2921
has a fan front much like the ones I'm used to on the 3745.  The muffin
fans seem standard sized and look easy enough to replace.

For sound suppressed enclosures, look at small sound isolation cabinets
meant for sound studios.  They're usually a bit pricey and you probably
want one with built-in active cooling via a low-speed high-volume fan.
I suppose you could also take a barebones cabinet and sound-suppress it
yourself with the egg-crate foam material.

--
/*=================[ Jake Khuon <khuon at NEEBU.Net> ]=================+
 | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers     /| / [~ [~ |) | | -------- |