[c-nsp] sup2T software & release notes have hit

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Sep 5 10:40:21 EDT 2011

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, Phil Mayers wrote:

> To answer my own question; we just unboxed and loaded our first sup2T today.
> Boot time with no config was ~100 seconds, which is much faster than the
> sup720.

IIRC, the specs for the Sup2T make the same max routes claim as the
Sup720-3BXL (i.e. 1000000 IPv4 routes, 500000 IPv6 routes, which for the
3BXL is misleading at best).  Is the IPv4/IPv6 routing split still the
same on the Sup2T, where you can have 1M IPv4 routes with IPv6 turned off,
or some split such as:

[from show platform hardware capacity]
L3 Forwarding Resources
              FIB TCAM usage:                     Total        Used       %Used
                   72 bits (IPv4, MPLS, EoM)     622592      368412         59%
                  144 bits (IP mcast, IPv6)      212992        7041          3%

As IPv4 runs out, I suspect we're going to see continued, if not
explosive, IPv4 routing table growth, and I'll be very disappointed if
cisco didn't engineer the Sup2T to support more routes than all previous
models.  If not, hopefully there's some more capable PFC/DFC on the way,
or maybe cisco just wants to eventually stop people from using the 6500
platform as a full BGP router and sell more ASRs or something.