[c-nsp] IOS XR

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Sep 5 20:33:33 EDT 2011

On Monday, September 05, 2011 11:51:44 PM Jason Lixfeld
wrote:

> All of our XR upgrades have gone off without a hitch.
> 4.0 to 4.0.1 and 4.0.1 to 4.1.  All fine.  The only
> issue is that ISSU isn't supported until 4.2 so the
> upgrades aren't hitless :(

Personally, I don't mind the lack of ISSU. There is no way
I'm going to trust that things will go well even when ISSU
is supported, so we'll always be running upgrades during
outage windows, and not using ISSU just to be sure.

The worst thing issue I have with IOS XR upgrades is the
amount of time it takes to run the patch. Even an SMU can
take decades, especially if it needs to reload the line
cards/fabric. It's really annoying - almost 1.5hrs upgrading
a single box.

But, I hear there are plans to significantly reduce the
upgrades times in upcoming code. Not sure if you need the
new RP's or if the current ones will do.

Cheers,

Mark.