[c-nsp] IOS XR

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Sep 6 03:20:10 EDT 2011

On Tuesday, September 06, 2011 01:42:47 PM Mikael
Abrahamsson wrote:

> There is also the question about what "ISSU" is. For me,
> it should be hitless or at least sub 50ms traffic hit.
> As far as I know, none of the router manufacturers come
> even close to this, even when they're talking about the
> future.
>
> Multiple seconds outage is not "in service".

Agree.

ISSU has never really worked, well enough or at all, since
vendors started shipping it many years back. So we just
don't even think about it when dealing with serious
production networks.

It's always more reliable to just take the box out of the
path, upgrade it, and put it back in the path. Just the IOS
XR boxes make this a not-so in-and-out type of process :-).

> Well, "significantly" in this case is not the "order of
> magnitude" improvement that I feel is needed to make
> this good.

Indeed.

We'll know when the improvements drop. For now, can't expect
things to be that much better until we actually see it.

Mark.