[c-nsp] HSRP added to SVI, IP accounting no longer works.

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Sep 7 05:19:52 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 01:29:42AM -0700, cisco group wrote:
> Thanks for the input will start researching a netflow solution.  Would
> you look at virtualised solution or physical hardware?  From my
> previous research I understand that it can be fairly intensive
> therefore quite a grunty box is required.

We have had bad experience with any sort of "bursty udp traffic" (like
DNS) on vmware hosts - and netflow export tends to do exactly this, so
we're using dedicated hardware, with FreeBSD and nfdump/nfsen as
the collector software (open source, great support, all the features we
could ask for - well, actually, "all the features I *did* ask for" :-) ).

Our netflow collector machines are not *that* beefy - 5-year old servers,
with something like 2 GHz P4-class CPUs and 2 Gb RAM - but what you need
depends a lot on the traffic in your network (read: how many flows this
will create, so "long sessions with little churn and large bandwidth"
will create much less flow data than "running an ad server network that
serves small pictures [= short flows] to the whole Internet", or worse,
"running a root or TLD name server"...).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de