[c-nsp] HSRP added to SVI, IP accounting no longer works.

cisco group bundaberg440ml at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 04:29:42 EDT 2011

> What sort of hardware and software is that?
>
> I'm not sure if "ip accounting out" ever worked on hardware-CEF platforms
> (most likely, it did count something, but that "something" are the packets
> seen by the CPU, not by the hardware).

2 x 6513 (Sup720).  We did see a drop in CPU by around 20% after
adding HSRP, this was odd as I was expecting a slight increase if
anything.

I only have limited experience with the 6500's but my thoughts were
that the CPU drop is associated to ip accounting no longer running or
we were previously software switching packets, but as mentioned I am
not 100% sure on this thought.

Thanks for the input will start researching a netflow solution.  Would
you look at virtualised solution or physical hardware?  From my
previous research I understand that it can be fairly intensive
therefore quite a grunty box is required.

Cheers,