[c-nsp] IP Accounting for IPv6

Chris Mason chris at noodles.org.uk
Wed Sep 7 06:08:34 EDT 2011

> netflow v9.
>
> "ip accounting" has been dead for about 10 years now...  it's still there,
> but netflow scales much better and uses far less CPU.

I knew you were going to say that :) I was looking for a solution
which didn't involve an external collector and could provide on-box
statistics aggregated to the src/dst IP (we are talking about small
amounts of traffic - a handfull of hosts at remote sites). It may be
my incorrect understanding of NetFlow, but I thought that flows would
be removed from the device once they were inactive for a period of
time (depending on the inactive timer). I am looking for the ability
to generate long term (about a week) of accouting information.

Thanks,
Chris