[c-nsp] IP Accounting for IPv6

Andy Bourges andy-lists at bourges.de
Wed Sep 7 06:28:49 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Wednesday 07 September 2011 12:08:34 Chris Mason wrote:
> > netflow v9.
> >
> > "ip accounting" has been dead for about 10 years now...  it's still
> > there, but netflow scales much better and uses far less CPU.
>
> I knew you were going to say that :) I was looking for a solution
> which didn't involve an external collector and could provide on-box
> statistics aggregated to the src/dst IP (we are talking about small
> amounts of traffic - a handfull of hosts at remote sites). It may be
> my incorrect understanding of NetFlow, but I thought that flows would
> be removed from the device once they were inactive for a period of
> time (depending on the inactive timer). I am looking for the ability
> to generate long term (about a week) of accouting information.

...depending on the availability of Flexible Netflow on your hardware/IOS, you
could use "permanent netflow caches" to simulate ip-accounting with flexible
netflow.
Permanent caches/cache entries are *not* exported to a collector by default
and must be reset manually (or scripted). This feature is intended for long
time caches residing on the devices - exactly what you're looking for.

Samples on configuration of permanent netflow caches can be found in the
"advanced netflow" networkers presentations and hopefully somewhere under
www.cisco.com/go/netflow.

regards,

Andy