[c-nsp] Basic IOS questions

"Rolf Hanßen" nsp at rhanssen.de
Sat Sep 10 09:09:39 EDT 2011

Hello,

> Show log:
>
> If you are trying to get the current day logs you can use "sh log | inc
> Sep  9" (notice the two spaces since there is no zero and day is two
> digits)

Isn't there a way just to switch the order ?
Obviously somebody at Cisco also thinks it could be comfortable, "sh ip
ospf events" is ordered descent for example. ;)

> Ssh timeouts:
>
> The command you are looking for is "exec-timeout" this has to be applied
> to the individual vty lines.

The missing part was "service tcp-keepalives-in"

So this config works as far as I can see:
service tcp-keepalives-in
line vty 0 4
 exec-timeout 0 0

> Osfp ipv6:
>
> Yes they replaced "router ospfv3" with "ipv6 router ospf"
>
> OSPF metric:
>
> Example 1:
>
> Show ipv6 route | inc ^O
> O   2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::/64 [110/49]
>
> The admin distance is 110 and metric is 49
>
> Example 2:
>
> sh ipv6 route  2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::/64
> Routing entry for 2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::/64
>   Known via "ospf xxxx", distance 110, metric 49, type intra area
>
> Same admin distance and metric
>
> Unless there are changes in those code revisions that effect the "show
> ipv6 route" they should be the same.
>
> Mack

I think that is not the same.
I set cost to 1000 for v4 and v6. This results in this output:

IPv4:
  Known via "ospf 1", distance 110, metric 20, type extern 2, forward
metric 1000
  Last update from 123.123.123.123 on Vlan1349, 1d14h ago
  Routing Descriptor Blocks:
  * 123.123.123.123, from 123.123.123.123, 1d14h ago, via Vlan1349
      Route metric is 20, traffic share count is 1

IPv6:
  Known via "ospf 1", distance 110, metric 20, type extern 2
  Route count is 1/1, share count 0
  Routing paths:
    FE80::20B:FCFF:FE05:800, Vlan1349
      Last updated 16:58:47 ago

The router behind this Cisco shows the cost of 1000 I added for IPv6, so I
think it is just not shown here but calculated and forwarded correctly.

kind regards
Rolf