[c-nsp] Sup2T static multicast mac address issues

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Sep 14 07:54:41 EDT 2011

On 14/09/11 09:59, Phil Mayers wrote:

> The sup2T has, IIRC, the ability to forward multicast traffic in
> "layer2" by inspecting the IP header. This is superior to inspecting the
> DMAC, because it avoids the possibility of group MAC collisions.
>
> Since you're using a DMAC from the IPv4 multicast range, I suspect
> you'll need to disable this.
>
> There should be a command to disable it, but I can't remember off the
> top of my head what it is, and our devel sup2T is offline at the moment.
>
> Hunt around in the config parser; I have a vague notion it might be
> something like:
>
> vlan X
> no multicast ... ip-based
>
> ...or something similar.

Correction, you probably want something more like:

vlan configuration X
   ! something

OTOH it might be a "platform" command in global config mode; without
powering up my sup2T I can't be sure.

If your multicast traffic is IPv4, you can also do this:

vlan configuration X
   ip igmp snooping static 224.1.2.3 interface g3/11

See here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SY/configuration/guide/ipv4_igmp_snooping.html#wp1075028